Butterfly

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Our Comforter

Recently, my 3 year old, Noah, woke up in the middle of the night and wandered out to me. When I asked him what was wrong his response was, "I want ya." He hadn't had a bad dream. He wasn't sick. He just wanted the comfort and security of knowing his Mommy was there.



It was later the next day that I began to think about how often we go the Lord, our Comforter, just to say, "I want ya." Where do we turn when we're having a rough day, or we're anxious about something? Who do we talk to if we've woken up and had a bad dream? What about the days that are going perfectly? Where did we find our comfort and security?

Pretend my day is going perfect. I sent the kids off to school, got all my housework done and ran all my errands. I spent the afternoon playing games with the boys and reading with them. (I even managed to get dinner ready on time.) Then I sent the boys to bed with more reading and singing, before I sat down to relax in my perfectly tidy house. Where did I find my security?

Or perhaps my depression has hit a low. Nothing feels right, I don't have the energy to even get out of bed. My kids need me and my house needs to be cleaned. I also have errands I need to run, but I just can't do it. All I can do is pray for strength to get done what absolutely must be done.

It's easy to look to the Lord when we have nowhere else to look. But the Lord should be our comfort and security all the time!! Who do we run to when something exciting happens? Where do we turn when we're anxious or scared about something? What do we turn to when we're just ready to give up?

No comments:

Post a Comment